Saturday, July 01, 2006

Bridesmaidzillas

I think brides get a bad rap these days. As soon as you announce your engagement, everyone is looking for a chance to label you a "bridezilla". It somehow makes people feel better about themselves when they have a scapegoat to blame in this very stressful time. But in all of the hullabaloo, everyone gets too distracted to see the real "bridezillas". The bridesmaids.

Now before I get myself in huge trouble with any of my gorgeous wonderful bridesmaids, let me preface this by saying I got off lucky. I chose 6 fabulous girls who treated me like a queen and were a great support. This bridesmaidzilla insight comes from my experience as a bridesmaid. I've been a flower girl twice, a candle lighter, a guest book attendant, a singer, a bride... and I've been a bridesmaid 4 times.
A friend of mine decided to keep things simple and just have one bridesmaid instead of choosing between her girlfriends. She asked a girl she had known since age 5 who, after agreeing to be her maid of honor, informed her that she would not be throwing her any showers or doing anything special for her. The cow stayed true to her word and I ended up being surrogate bridesmaid running errands, planning showers, taking my friend for spa treatments and getting my hair done with her on the morning of her wedding. I was honored to help her out but watching the thoughtless cow gliding smugly up the isle made me want to smack her for being such a lousy friend.

Another friend of mine, a very sweet girl, had one bridesmaid who couldn't be bothered to attend any of her showers, help her pick her dress or participate in any way aside from smiling her hypocritical face off in all of the wedding photos as she bragged to the rest of us how great she looked in her dress.

For anyone getting married, choose your bridesmaids wisely. Pick girls who are good at calming you down, who know what you need before you say it and are willing to get down on their hands and knees and wipe the dirt off your dress before you walk down the isle if need be.

Thank you Nancy, Mia, Claire, Alison, Pamela, and Julie!

P.S If any of you have any bridesmaidzilla stories you would like to share, please post them in comments!

2 comments:

RAY O'SUNSHINE said...

Hi. My friend is getting married in November. There are only 2 of us in it. How difficult is it to tell us which freaking dress to wear? She cant/wont decide. I live in Ohio, other bm in Cali, and bride in South Carolina..... less than 4 months til game time and I KNOW we are going to be scrambling last minute to get alterations. Not to mention travel/hotels/rehearsals....AAAGGGHHH!!! Brides are sooooo difficult!!

Ali said...

Ouch! Yes it is a very stressful time. I've been on both sides. It might be an idea to recommend a dress to the bride and other BM that is available at a chain store such as Zara so you can each try them on in your city. Sometimes brides just need a little push and she'll probably be happy to have that off her shoulders. Good luck!