Saturday, July 22, 2006

Confessions of a Nerdtrepreneur


I'm ashamed to admit it, but Misschickie has become a full-on computer geek. I know the names of several programming languages and say boring things like, "Can you change this from tables to div's?” and "Oh the HTML looks all screwed up. I think I unzipped it!"

To anyone who knows anything about programming this is nothing impressive. But for someone like myself who spent my first year of Radio and Television Arts screaming, "I HATE computers!!!” this is huge. I went from having only basic computer skills 6 months ago to adding Adsense, Google Search and Analytics to my blog. By myself.

Building chickadvisor has been an extremely interesting and educational experience and I'm loving it, but I had no idea my inner nerd would unleash to this extent. I'm hopelessly addicted to Google Analytics. What the FCUK?

Probably the defining moment of my new-found nerdom was a couple of weeks ago when my sister and a couple of friends were trying to drag me out on a Saturday night and I said, "Sorry, I can't. I've got to rewrite the wording for this module and get it over to the flash guy so he can fix the CSS." They just stared at me in horror.

All I can say is, if being a geek helps me build a better business, I'm all for it. But don't worry, I still have my priorities straight. I'm getting a facial next week.

1 comment:

BubblyBunny said...

Welcome to the CompuGeek World!! :P

I have computer background and I know how to program. But I always dread the idea of having to learn new computer stuff on my own. Until I actually have a project to work on where I'm forced to learn the language, the idea of learning always feels like it is the worst thing in the world. However, once I actually sit down and focus, learning a new language isn't so bad at all.

Good luck with chickadvisor! I look forward to seeing the finished product!! :)