Thursday, June 29, 2006

What The Italians Are Wearing This Summer


Why does this matter? Because there's a very strong chance it's what we'll be wearing next.

Last year I was in the south of Spain and Paris and observed the trends there only to have them follow me home. For example: the long peasant skirt. This item was literally being sold on the street outside of department stores like Le Printemps in a variety of colours. I noticed the fitted jackets that tied with a bow at Mango in Spain and a few months later, voila! It was everywhere. I also predicted that wedges and flats would be huge for a long time and that white would be THE colour (if you can call it that) this season. I stocked up in advance.

Now I've had a chance to scope out what our Italian sisters are wearing this summer and I'm anticipating we'll see those trends in our stores very soon. Here are the must-haves according to the Italians:

Flirty Fitted Summer Dresses:

The Italian women like their dresses colourful and tight with an emphasis on the bust.


Push-em Up Bras:

You won't find any flannel from Grandma here. The Italians are all about the pushup bra and nice undies. Every third store is a lingerie shop with gorgeous colourful bras with matching panties, ruffles, lace and barely-there bottoms to get your man's pulse racing.


Cute Strappy Tops: Available in every colour, pattern and fabric, these tops are everywhere. Of course we have them here too, but theirs are decidedly cuter.


Wedges:This has been a hot item for a while now. These make walking on cobblestone streets much easier than last year's strappy sandals. The Italians like the ones with ribbon that wraps around the ankles.


Aviator Shades: The fashion-conscious have already been wearing these for a while but in Italy EVERYONE is wearing them. In fact, it's hard to find someone who isn't.


Soft, Slouchy Cowboy Boots:

Ok. Here's where I dropped the ball. I saw these puppies everywhere, in cream, white, black and dark brown and never got around to taking a picture or trying on a pair. I realize this was a huge blunder on my part, but the temperature was 35-40 degrees Celsius the entire time we were there and Italians aren't too fond of air conditioning - even in their beloved shoe stores. I couldn't have put on a pair of boots if someone had paid me. It was just that hot. But watch for cowboy boots with a more rounded toe, made of soft leather that is either slightly slouchy or has cutout patterns at the top of the boot. The Italians wear these with mini skirts - another must have item.


Sparkly Tops:Any kind of sparkle will do. They like t-shirts with sparkly lettering, jackets with shiny detail and tops with sequins.


And finally, the biggest winner of all... Eyelet in White:
White eyelet skirts, jackets, tops, blouses... this stuff was everywhere. It looks best as a trim and is a very feminine look.

Happy Shopping!

2 comments:

mckinnley said...

Didn't I tell you I wanted a pair of boots a couple of months ago?? I'm totally trendy before it's even trendy!! Or I would be, if I'd ever found a pair....

Ali said...

Yes, but we don't have these kind here. The boots we had in the early spring had pointier toes and stiffer leather. They also didn't have any cute cut-out patterns and stuff. Wait 'till these come out. They're gorgeous!