Friday, January 19, 2007

Smelly Cheap Nail Bars

Have you ever been to one of those cheap nail salons where you get a manicure/pedicure combo for $30-$40? They usually have a cheesy name like "Classic Nails" or "Look Nails" and have 80's style posters in the windows. I've been to a few of these when I'm desperate for a little maintenance. It's a nice cheap way to get your nails done but why does it always stink like poison in there?

I went with one of my friends a couple of days ago and the smell nearly knocked me over. I felt like I was about to start hallucinating or pass out. Between the stench and the woman pulling the skin off my toes (she created a hang nail and then went to town on it), I felt more like I was being punished than pampered.

This is just one of a few bad experiences I've had. Another time at a different shop, the woman used a razor on my foot and sliced my toe. It bled all day and they still charged me full price.

In most of these places English isn't even a second language, it simply isn't spoken. I thought "ouch!" was universal but apparently it isn't.

There's a new place that's opened up down the street from me that looks neat and clean. I plan to check it out next month and see if I have better luck. But if it stinks in there I'm not going.

Does anyone else know what that horrid smell is? Is it just the nail polish itself, or is it from those horrid fake nail things? I'm sure it's hazardous to our health.

5 comments:

Teena in Toronto said...

We have a place in our 'hood that charges $30 for a mani and pedi. So we checked it out. It was okay ... not great.

KarmaCake said...

The smell? I thought it was the nail polish remover. Then I thought it was the solvent they put on your nails before the actual falsies. Then I thought it was the stuff they mix with the powder to make the nail bed.

Now I just hope it's disinfectant.

Anonymous said...

I'm sure those chemicals in there are hazardous to our health! They're all wearing masks except for the clients. Makes you wonder what they're protecting themselves from doesnt it? Feel like asking them "Wheres my damn mask!"

Ali said...

Excellent points ladies! I agree about the masks. I'm convinced that whatever it is, it's toxic.

Claire said...

I remember hearing about a lawsuit where a nail salon was found liable for an dangerous infection from a cut in a customer's foot following a botched pedicure. Apparantly the soaking basin had not been cleaned properly and was harboring bacteria.

I haven't been in a while, so I'm not sure which smell you mean. Certainly there are the solvents in the polish and care products, as well as the glue and acrylics. They are likely wearing the masks to try to prevent the harm that comes from long-term exposure.

Personally I would be more concerned about what they're doing to your hands and feet (ie. if they are sloughing too much or shaving too deep) and if they are sterilizing or at least disinfecting their instruments between clients than the dangers associated with the odors. Also, if they are simply disinfecting between customers, they need to rinse the utensils off.

Probably the safest thing is to pay a little more from a place you trust. I haven't been to one of those glorified kiosks at Wal-Mart myself...