Tuesday, January 23, 2007

How to Score a Free Ride on the Subway!

This morning I discovered the most brilliant trick! I was running a little behind (funny how often that happens), and picked up a croissant and latte to go before hurrying out to wait for the streetcar. There was an unusually long line up this time and I waited patiently with breakfast in hand - hands that were freezing at this point - for the squeeky old street car to pick us up.

I could see in the distance that it looked packed full and doubted seriously if it would have room for all of us. However, one by one the people ahead of me crammed themselves in full up to the stairs like human sardines. Though there really wasn't room for me, I got on anyway and found my forhead inches away from someone's butt with one hand holding on to my precious breakfast and the other up under someone else's elbow holding onto the bar near the token collector. Since my feet were on the second last step I couldn't even reach to put my fare in, so I simply didn't!

I couldn't help smiling a bit as I thought about the free ride I'd scored, until the old car pulled away and around the corner and butts and elbows stumbled into me and nearly pushed me out the door. I held on for dear life until we rounded the corner wondering if the doors would have opened had I leaned on them a little harder.

At the next stop just before Union station the street car stopped again (why do they always stop when there clearly isn't room for any more??) and I was humped from behind by 2 more winter coats who'd forced themselves on by some miracle.

I nearly fell out the door when we arrived at Union Station. But I saved $2.75!

2 comments:

Claire said...

Hey, $2.75 gets you most of the way to a latte... I'd be happy too!

Teena in Toronto said...

I hate it when streetcars get full ... it definitely wasn't worth $2.75.