Thursday, September 21, 2006

Surviving the Sample Sale


You're in a nightclub at 2:00 in the afternoon. The music is thumping and the lighting is dim. You've elbowed your way through the crowed, plowed through piles of designer jeans and quietly mooned each other in an open change room as you squeezed into one pair of ill fitting jeans after the next.

Welcome to the Sample Sale.

This afternoon the club was Republik, the event was a D.C Sample Sale, and I was one of the mooners. I sweat, I struggled, I squinted in the darkly lit change room trying to determine if what I was trying on was flattering or not, but everything looked terrible... from what I could make of it in the dark anyway.

What I really wanted was to walk away with a pair of Rock & Republic jeans for $225 or the cute 7's for $150, but I looked like either a stuffed sausage or like I was wearing oversized hand-me-downs, and nothing in between.

One heavy set girl trotted out in front of me and asked my opinion on her Citizens. "Does this make my butt look big?" (Crap!) Yes, I'm afraid it does, but who am I to judge? After all, I was wearing heavy winter boots over a worn looking pair of Buffalo jeans that really didn't do me justice. I was a walking billboard for What Not to Wear. (It looked cold out, ok??)

"I'd probably try another size", I suggested. "Right", she said, "I guess my butt's too small for these ones."

Bless her. I hope she had better luck than I did.

No comments: