Wednesday, September 27, 2006

15 Minutes of Fame With Red Canary


Since we launched ChickAdvisor on September 2nd, we've been getting a lot of attention on the web. We got some nice feedback from Mashable, Amanda Congdon (formerly of Rocketboom), been featured on runningwithfoxes, tagged on Del.icio.us, and gotten a bunch of cool new members and reviews from many other great sites.

Last week, we had our first official interview with Red Canary, a website about startups. I was also asked to write something to go with our piece. "Write about whatever you want” he said.

Well, I read the posts from other startups he'd featured and they all sounded really serious and educational. I didn't want to even attempt to write anything like that because A: What do I know, and B: Who cares? I'd rather talk about where to buy designer stuff for cheap or which pastry shop sells the best croissants or who in this city can give me some decent highlights?? That plus, truthfully, I didn't want to even try to compete with the smarty-pants* already featured on the site.

In the end, however I attempted to sound intelligent talking about the difficulties of being a woman in the biz... yada yada yada, but honestly, I'd rather not talk about that. I wish I didn't have to. But as I've been learning in my PR class, women are still paid $.76 to the dollar (to this day!) compared to their male counterparts, and I think it's complete nonsense. I'd like to see the day where skin color, gender, etc, don't matter and we all just see each other as people end of story.

One day, perhaps!

*No disrespect intended to any of the smarty-pants. You're all very interesting intelligent people, and I'm sure we'd all get along fabulously.

1 comment:

Ali Kat said...

Clarification: It must be women in certain areas of business, 'cause I know as a teacher and in many other professions, men and women get paid equally - even if they still don't get treated equally.