Monday, June 12, 2006

Chocolate



We all have our weaknesses and mine is chocolate. I adore the stuff. I've been known to pass on any other kind of desert because if there's no chocolate in it, what's the point? If I'm going to get a huge derriere, it might as well be because of flourless chocolate cake or truffles from the local chocolatier.

However, I despise anything with artificial flavors or ingredients I can't pronounce. It has to be pure, unadulterated, rich cocoa-y goodness from a reputable source. I don't eat gas station sub-standard "candy bar" fare, and you'd never catch me scooping up bulk generic brand rosebuds at the grocery store. That's right, I am a chocolate snob... or maybe chocolate connoisseur would be a more appropriate title.

This pickiness stems from my refusal to knowingly eat chemicals, and the fact that pure chocolate just tastes so much better. If you don't believe me, try a bite of dark Lindt Chocolate followed by a bite of your favorite candy bar and taste the difference chemicals make! I don't like carob or fat free/sugar free chocolate. Chocolate is supposed to be fattening, which is why it is for desert. Fat is natural and your body can deal with it in reasonable doses. Chemicals on the other hand, should be reserved for, well, other things such as pepper spray.

Since most of us know that dark chocolate can actually be good for you, we should share tips with each other for, um, health purposes. Here are a few guilt free* chocolatey things I highly recommend:

1. President's Choice Organic Chocolate Ice cream - The creamiest, most delicious ice cream I've ever had. It's available at Loblaws and other stores that carry PC products.

2. Lindt Excellence 70% cocoa (and darker) chocolate. All it takes is a little bit of this super rich chocolate to satisfy the craving, then you save the rest for later!

3. Fauchon dark and milk chocolate almonds. My husband and I discovered Fauchon in Paris and bought some chocolates for our picnic in the park. Protein plus gourmet chocolate = perfection!

4. Chocolate Blackout Cake - Senses Bakery (Toronto and Vancouver) - My husband fed me this the night he proposed. You know the rest...

5. Oma's oatmeal chocolate chunk cookies. They are much healthier than any store bought variety and are made with oatmeal and whole wheat, which are good for you! I can't believe I'm sharing my Grandmother's secret cookie recipe, but it would be wrong to hoard it all to myself. She'll forgive me, she's very sweet!

2/3 C Brown Sugar
3/4 C Butter
1 Egg
2 C Oatmeal
2/3 C Whole-wheat flour
1/2 tsp Baking Soda
1/2 tsp Baking Powder
Pinch of Salt
2 tsp Pure Vanilla extract
Chunks of dark chocolate - to taste

Bake at 350 for 10-15 minutes

*Guilt free when consumed in REASONABLE doses

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The oatmeal chocolate cookies are to die for. Mmmmmmmm.... I too have a chocolate sweet tooth! LOL ;)
Thanx for the receipe misschickie...my DH,DD,and DS thank you too!

Ali said...

You're very welcome! And same to your Dental Hygenist (?) Designated Driver (?) and Dog Spike (?)

Just tryin' to crack the code... maybe I'm just too tired and it will all make sense in the morning ;)