Saturday, June 24, 2006

Cycling and Feasting Under The Tuscan Sun

Bella Tuscany! Gorgeous rolling hills with birds chirping, bees bumbling around, and the smell of flowers in the air. It is an incredibly beautiful place.

But I had no idea it was all hills or that I would be seeing it all from the seat of a hybrid bicycle going 30-60 km/day in the blazing heat. Not the sort of adventure for a girl who prefers wearing heels, lounging by the pool, shopping in the city and sitting at cafes. I have never sweat so much or worked so hard on vacation in my life. I had planned to make regular posts capturing our adventures, but found myself passed out in the hotel from fatigue or alcohol consumption from the inexhaustible supply of wine we were fed every night.

When my fellow travelers, (all very fit cyclists) agreed it was the most physically challenging trip they had been on, I felt much better about bailing on the biking and opting for the pool on day two. However, it was a great opportunity to push myself and see Tuscany in a way I never would have been able to before. I biked over 100km in 3 days!

I tried to capture the scenery but my camera couldn't do it justice.
Vineyard after vineyard peppered with gorgeous estates with incredible vistas. The never ending rows of cypress trees and quaint little villages with red and pink geraniums on the balcony. The hearty, "Buon Giorno" from a local as we passed by. All these things made me wish I never had to go home.

We visited a local cooking school where we made fresh pasta with incredible sauces followed by the most mouth watering tiramisu I've ever had. We also visited local wineries for tastings where we discovered delicious Chianti's and flavourful olive oils. The greener the oil, the better, apparently!

Though we stayed in incredibly lavish properties (one was a Relais & Chateaux), the most impressive part was the food. We ate until we couldn't move and then ate some more. Course after course of mouth-watering pastas, fish, lamb and t-bone steak. The best experiences were at local restaurants slightly off the tourist areas where the best chefs had us stuffing ourselves into delirium.

We are still here in Florence where we will remain for a few days. Since I haven't been able to shop yet, we'll definitely make some time for that, though Alex doesn't realize it yet (Mwahahaha!).

I'll try to control myself...

No comments: