Sunday, June 04, 2006

Giselle Cleans My Closet


A short while ago I talked about my image consultant friend Giselle, who thought I needed some help in the clothing department. She promised to take me shopping and unfortunately our plans were thwarted by Air Canada, who cancelled my flight home from North Carolina. Well I'm back now, and Giselle finally met my closet.

Now I realize I'm not super organized with my comes to my clothes. My winter and summer things are always meshed together and I could care less if my underwear, socks and t-shirts share the same drawer.

When Giselle came over to start the image consulting process with me, she was horrified. Well first she was pleased. She was horrified when she saw my closet, but she was thrilled when she saw what I was wearing, "Oh, you will be so perfect for the before picture, Aleee!!"

It's funny. I hadn't even thought of that. I was wearing a yellow tank top, jeans and my hubby's super soft black socks. My hair was pushed away from my face in a haphazard ponytail. I work from home and I need to be comfortable. I can't be walking around in heels and a pencil skirt with my hair in a chignon; it's just not going to happen. Giselle on the other hand looked immaculate with matching manicure and pedicure, ("I got them both for $30, Aleee!"), a ribbon-tied pink blazer and cute capris.

She began the consultation with a questionnaire, which I'm sure I failed. She was not impressed when I admitted I've been dressing mostly for comfort: "Oh Aleee, that is sooo bad!"

After a few embarrassing moments there, we moved on to my closet:

"Wow, I can't belieeve it! Your closet is disaster! Hahaha! How do you find anything in here? Hahaha. That's ok! I will fix it!" Giselle took off her jacket and began rooting through my closet. Everything came out and pretty soon I was in there with the Hoover vacuuming up dust bunnies.

Giselle started the discard pile. She was kind, but to the point,"What about this one? For me, it looks very, very old."

"This, I would not wear"

"Can we throw out this one?"

"My mother has this... do you still want to keep it?"

Surprisingly, by the time she was done I only had to throw out 4 things, which happened to be really old and admittedly, tacky - except for my purple boa. That one was a shame.

She then meticulously folded everything and put it back in the closet. I felt really bad that she was doing all the work but she wouldn't let me touch anything: "Don't worry, Aleee! For me, this is fun! I LOVE it!" I told her she was crazy and I could only imagine what her closet looked like. Her response: "It's like 'Sleeping with the Enemy'. Everything is perfect in a row."

Mmmkay....

After about an hour, I couldn't believe the transformation:

One of Giselle's trademarks, aside from freakishly organized clothes, is that she stickers each closet she visits. The stickers signify that she has madeover that closet and that she will be checking periodically to make sure I'm keeping it clean.

Note to self: Hang out at Giselle's place from now on.

The next phase of my image makeover is creating outfits out of the stuff I already own, and then on to shopping!

Apparently, my outfit is already picked out.

No comments: