Tuesday, May 30, 2006

Strawberry Martinis and Picnics in the Park

Summer is by far my favorite time of the year. I love wearing skirts, sitting on restaurant patios with friends, wearing open toed shoes (with a french pedi of course!), and; getting some color on my sun-starved skin. I also love the new summer drinks that pop up every year.

Two weeks ago, I met my ultimate summer drink: The Chocolate-Dipped Strawberry Martini. It was so delicious, I prefered it over my popcorn shrimp and braised lamb. There I was at the restaurant in my own little martini-heaven world, when the waiter notices my untouched plate and comes over, "Is there something wrong with your meal?" Me: "Hmmmm? Oh yes please! I'd love another one of these! Hee hee! They're soooo delicious! Are the strawberries grown in-house? You're getting a big tip for this one! Hee hee!" My husband cuts in, embarrased, "The lamb's fine. Thank you."


Chocolate-Dipped Strawberry Martini:
2 oz Creme de Cacao
1 oz Vodka
1 oz Fresh blended Strawberries. * This can be substituted for 1/2 oz Raspberry or
Strawberry Schnapps



While travelling through Ontario's wine region, Niagara-on-the-Lake, my husband and I thought it might be fun to have a picnic in the park with cheese, baguettes and a little bit of local wine. We had just finished touring Peller Estates where we happened upon a perfect mini picnic set that fit easily in my purse along with the, um, beverage, and two mugs to conceal our illegal activity.

Yes, my bag is huge, but that's irrelevant. Back to the picnic.

This little set, complete with cutting board, cutlery, corkscrew (yes!), and cute napkins, folds neatly together into a little pouch. At just $12.00, it was money well spent.

When we got to the park we saw another couple having a picnic with a portable mini barbeque, huge cooler, large plates and cups and a 2L bottle of coke. I felt bad for them. Their picnic probably took all day to set up with professional movers. Ours fit in my purse and was way cuter. I was going to go over and give them a few simple pointers on how to have a better picnic, but I thought that would be mean.

We ate our delicious picnic, got a little tipsy and then went for ice cream!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Put one back... have another one... drinking and driving is so much fun.

--Sham69

<g>

Ali said...

Let me just say that we walked!!

P.S. If I were you, I'd probably decline any opportunity to speak at a MADD convention or volunteer to be DD any time soon. K?