Thursday, October 12, 2006

Who Do You Tip?


It seems everyone in the service industry should be getting a tip these days. This was a big discussion I had recently with a couple of friends and we all came to the same conclusion: We're confused.

One friend is from New York City where she says tipping 30% at restaurants is the norm. My other friend and I both moved to Toronto from the Prairies where only exceptional service would generally earn a tip above 10%.

Aside from the confusion over how much to tip, we're also confused about whom to tip. New York Friend (NYF) says service is taken very seriously in the Big Apple. Door men remember your name, what you're doing, what your plans are and help you carry your things (Yes, just like the movies!!). When Christmas rolls around you tip each doorman generously and don't forget to add a Christmas bonus for your hair stylist and colorist.

In Toronto I know to tip 15 - 20% at restaurants, 15% at hair salons and spas, a couple bucks to the cab driver, and a few to the delivery guy, and that's about it.

NYF said she tips the plumber when he comes by and basically any kind of repairman. Prairie Chick and I were like, what??

Recently I had my messy apartment cleaned by CleanFreaks and I realized I had no idea if I should tip them or not. I should have asked them but I was embarrassed by my ignorance and didn't say anything.

So, what I'd like is a comprehensive list of people I should tip in every major city. I'd hate to be the jerk that shafts someone.

So, lets make this a little informal poll. Who do you tip in your city and how much is appropriate? You can add your comments with your city below.

4 comments:

BubblyBunny said...

Ottawa + Fredericton

I tip anywhere between 10-20%, depending on the service and the price of the meal.

If the service is good, I tip 15%. If it's REALLY good, I tip closer to 20%.

However, if the meal is really expensive, I do 15% but no more. It's a fine line for me there since I don't want to look cheap by tipping too little at a fancy restaurant. But at the same time, it just feels wrong to give $10-15 tip when the person only came to my table 4 times (take order, deliver food, ask if food is ok, and give me the bill), no more than a person who's serving me a $5 meal, earning a $1 tip.

My general rule of thumb for typical average service is:

<$10 meal per person (not incl. tax), 10% tip
$10-30 meal, 15-20% tip
>$30 meal, 15% tip

Anonymous said...

I would also like to know what is appropriate to give as wedding gifts. I think it is strongly dependant on of course your relationship, but also on the location.

---BlueGirl

Anonymous said...

I am NYF, and I should clarify that 20% is usually the minimum tip in restaurants, and up to 30% for good service...of course that was general in our group of friends, coworkers etc. Sorry for the confusion.

Its amazing the differences between cities. My husband is from the praries, My family from the east coast, and its different everywhere!

Anonymous said...

being on the priaries, we tip about 10% for average sit down meals, take-out nothing, and we always p/u rather than have something delivered, which saves on food cost and (i think)no tip required. i have heard that wine consumption should involve a bigger tip, but i don't know if that's true, or understand why it should be true.

the wedding gift thing is always an issue. we choose to give around the same amount per wedding, regardless of how well we know the person, and regardless of what kind of wedding (formal sit-down or casual stand-up). if someone is going to include us on their guest list, i just assume it is b/c they want us at their wedding, and not b/c they hope or expect a big gift from us. and if they choose to have a big expensive day, that doesn't factor into us going broke to support it. i have a hick-town in-law cousin who charged $5/person to attend b/c they wanted more people than they could afford to feed!!! we did not go to that wedding. and if it's someone i know well, likely i will have also provided a gift for a shower or two, and maybe even been a part of the stagette - all events which involve money being spent on the bride. and helping with aspects of the wedding such as decorating or endless shopping trips with the bride involves your time which also counts as something.