Friday, October 20, 2006

Toronto Fashion Week Spring/Summer '07

I had the privilege of attending a few shows last week including my absolute favorite, Andy Thê-Anh, whose collection was gorgeous as usual. I tried to snag an interview with him before the show, but he just looked at me like "who are you?" promised to talk to me later (a polite way of saying bugger off) and then scurried away. It was the nicest brush-off I've ever had. I'm like, "Sounds great, Andy!" like we're old friends or something. He probably just took one look at my cheapie camera, my less than fashionable outfit and went, see ya later.


Ah well, his collection was amazing.
Gorgeous shimmery lace dresses, blouses that ruffled at the elbow, sexy body skimming skirts with a little gathering of ruffles at the back... I wanted every piece. Even the swimwear was to die for, though it would require 24/7 effort at the gym to pull it off. The hair and makeup was stunning. Very French. Thick black eyelashes, black eyeliner, perfect brows and deep red lips.
I love that he has kept the lady in style this season.

We also took in the fun flirty collection from Bustle. Think Lacoste meets Abercrombie + Fitch. The models strutted down a stretch of fake lawn sporting blue tooth, cell phones and ipods with cute tennis skirts, polos and jackets. Fresh crisp colors like white and green were the themes.
The whole experience was fun as usual and I had it filmed by no other than an Emmy award winning Director who spent a season directing the Oprah Winfrey show (yes, for real!!) His name is Dale LoFranco and he helped me out as a personal favor. My knees were literally knocking as I stood out on the runway between shows doing a standup student style in front of this guy. I kept thinking this man has filmed Oprah. Oprah!! (My personal hero and person I would most love to meet). I must have looked like such a fool in comparison. But he's an incredibly nice man. He's an American in Canada with his own company but looking to work locally so he can travel less and help take care of his 2-year-old grand daughter suffering from a rare form of cancer. I was honored to have him helping me and I'm putting together a little piece on Fashion Week that I might just post here (providing my editing skills don't embarrass me too badly).

According to Canadian designers, the bottom line for spring '07 is short short skirts, crisp white or classic black, long thick eyelashes, and show a lot of leg.

I think I'll be spending a little more time at the gym from now on...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I adore the pink dress, the white suit and the sporty looks, but I really don't get the ruffly blouse thing at all. what's up with that? are other designers following this frothy folly?

Ali said...

Frills have been a trend for a while already and unfortunately for frill haters out there, there is no indication they'll be going away any time soon.

But at least they are becoming more wearable than they were for the fall collections. Back in August I too was horrified by the trend, but have since come to appreciate ruffles in small doses.

http://misschickie.blogspot.com/2006/08/polyester-is-not-my-friend.html

Claire said...

I just can't do it. I waited out the pointy pizza shoes, I can wait this one out too. Quite simply unattractive.