Wednesday, August 30, 2006

Where to Go in T.O


What's a gal to do when she moves to a new city and doesn't know a soul who could give her advice on where to find essential women's services and the best shopping locations and deals?

That's the dilemma I faced when I first moved to Toronto from the Prairies 6 years ago. I did loads of discovery by trial and error. I got several bad haircuts, a sliced toe during a nightmare pedicure (where they had the nerve to charge me full price), an esthetician who waxed my eyebrows nearly bald, and a doctor who told me I had cancer based on simply hearing my symptoms without an examination while I sat there fully clothed in my winter jacket bawling my foolish eyes out. (I'm fine, the guy was just nuts!)

Eventually I found a few great places that I wish I'd heard about long ago. For those who are new to the city or looking for a change, here's my list of favorites so far...

Best Facial: Elixir Spa

They use organic products, my skin always looks amazing, no attitude.

Best Waxing: Roza's Esthetics (Bloor West Village)

It's cheap, quick and less painful than anywhere else I've ever been.

Best Haircut: TONI&GUY (Yorkville) & Civello (Queen Street)
My hair is more manageable after I get a cut from either of these salons. I always get compliments after a visit. Civello kicks in a shoulder and neck massage with every cut or color.

Best Doctor (Family): Dr. Christopher Pinto
416-767-2525
He's very kind and takes time to answer all of your questions.

Best Dentist: Dr. Horenfeld
416-364-2444
Incredibly nice guy. There's always Jazz music playing. Great location.

Best Cafes:
B Espresso (Queen Street E) - best lattes, cool Italian cafe
Le Gourmand - The best chocolate chip cookies I've ever had in my life.
Balzacs - Great location in the distillery district, cool ambiance, great coffee.

Favorite restaurants:

Blowfish (Sushi)
Very cool vibe, great presentation, and incredible food. Pricy but worth it.
The Boiler House
Amazing food, great ambiance, and live music on the weekend.
Le Select Bistro
Paris style bistro with cool decor, food and a great prix fixe menu.

I'm still scouring for the best boutiques, but recently visited Body Blue, which has great service and selection, and Montreal based swimwear designer Shan has opened a new store on Avenue Road that I'm dying to check out.

Does anyone out there in web land know of any other boutiques they recommend? My hunt continues...

No comments: