Saturday, April 08, 2006

The Last of the Mushroom Cuts

It’s hard enough moving to a new city away from friends and family, but leaving an established beauty routine with a specific hair stylist and a killer esthetician is like ending a committed relationship – except a little sadder, because now your appearance is at the mercy of total strangers. I had a certain stylist, who shall remain nameless, when I first moved to Ontario, who clearly had her own agenda when it came to doing my hair. Here’s what I asked for: A richer shade of brown than my natural blah color and a hair cut. I’ve always had long hair and was ready to try something new so I asked for her opinion. She said she would just shorten the length to my shoulders and add some long layers. Sounded good. What I got: A witch-black mushroom cut straight out of 1984. And all the while, she moaned on and on about the last man who dumped her. Thankfully, all I have left of that now is a bad memory and an unfortunate passport photo…
That’s why it is so important to know what you’re getting into when you visit a new hair salon. It is crucial to have a group of trusted girlfriends to point you in the right direction so you can avoid these unfortunate experiences. On a positive note, after five years of embarrassment, the time has finally come to renew my passport. I am now entitled to a much better picture. At last, I can enter and exit our fine country with my dignity intact.

No comments: