Thursday, August 03, 2006

Polyester is Not My Friend

Why is it so hard to find a decent dress shirt these days? I have a couple of cute ones from RW&Co, but for the longest time I've been looking for some good long and short sleeve options that look professional yet cute, and are made of good quality materials.

I can’t wear anything that doesn't breathe. It has to be at least 100% cotton in order for me to survive the day. Polyester is not my friend. Give me five minutes in a top with the slightest trace of Poly in it and I give you B.O. The same goes for most cheap synthetic fabrics.

This afternoon I had to run a few errands and found myself wandering around the mall (funny how that happens!) and thought I would once again take up the task of searching for my elusive perfect top. I must say I was very disappointed to see that William Shakespeare has taken over designing for Zara. What a load of hideous ruffley polyester creations they had. Woof! I tried one of them on thinking that maybe it was a case of the hanger rule (hideous on the hanger, beautiful on the body), but that was not the case. First my head got stuck halfway through trying to get the thing on. I fought and twisted and spun around and around in the change room like the headless horseman with my arms flailing about. Finally I got the bloody thing on and found the bow at the neck uncomfortably tight. The chest had a circular opening with several rows of ruffles that were most unflattering. I fought again to get the thing off and then decided right there and then that I was done for the day and gave up.

I expect to see some serious improvements over the next month or two as the fall collections are fully flushed out, or I really don't know what I'm going to wear this year!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What's your take on athletic/active wear? My husband sweats a lot, but those soccer-jersey style T-shirts are a lifesaver. They have never been near a natural fiber, unless maybe if you count the thread used to stitch it together. Particularly good are the ones he wears by Fila. Of course, that only works for casual dress occasions.

Ali said...

Athletic gear is good at keeping the skin dry because it whisks the moisture away from the body to the outside of the fabric for quick evaporation such as Nike's Dry-Fit stuff, but it doesn't resolve any body odour issues.

I think I'm simply allergic to certain materials, because I can work out in a cotton tshirt no problem, but give me 5 min in a poly-blend shirt and it ain't pretty.