Sunday, December 10, 2006

Italy's Anorexia Summit



It's called The National Manifesto of Self-Regulation, and it is a plan devised by the Italian state and luxury industry authorities to respond to growing concerns about eating disorders rampant with young models.

According to Fashion Wire Daily, the goal is to, "create a manifesto governing models' size that will be signed by designers, big brands, model agencies, photographers and make up artists " before the next season which begins January 14th. The Manifesto states that models must have a body mass index or BMI of at least 18. So for example, models who are 5 feet 9 inches tall must weigh a minimum of about 123 pounds or 56 kilos.

This comes on the heels of the deaths of models Ana Carolina Reston, 21 of Brazil and Luisel Ramos, 22 of Uroguay whose diets consisted of apples and tomatoes (Reston), and lettuce leaves and diet coke (Ramos). Reston died of liver failure and Ramos of a heart attack during Fashion Week in Montevideo, Uruguay.

Source

3 comments:

mckinnley said...

Good. Although I suspect that they would therefore have to have "weigh ins" before fashion shows and I imagine the models would be doing some binging to make weight, and then purging afterwards -kind of the opposite of professional fighters. But something definitely needs to be done, and I think this is a good first step. Hooray! Maybe I will be able to end up as a model after all!! (wait, I never wanted to be a model..)

Claire said...

I approve! I understand the issue of clothes looking better on skeletal frames, but I think a 5'9" 125 lb woman will still look slender enough to sell the outfit, yet healthy enough that you don't worry she'll injure you with her collarbone if she collapses in the crowd after the show.

Ali said...

I agree it's about time. I didn't realize until I read this article how bad it had become. I didn't know models were literally dying to appear in shows.