Tuesday, May 23, 2006

The Product Police Part I: Air Canada, Dish Cubes and Night Cream


Every now and then, I feel compelled to air my 2 cents about things that were a huge waste of money. To be balanced, I will also mention some stuff that I think is great.

But let’s start with the negative, since it is way more fun!

1. Air Canada

Last week I was stranded at an airport in North Carolina over night. Not only did this ruin my planned shopping expedition with Giselle, it cost me a lot of money for a hotel, food and taxi at my own expense. Air Canada, who didn’t even have a representative at the airport, was only reachable via cell phone on their reservations line to book a new flight. I waited on hold for over an hour, roaming charges and all, only to be handled by a hostile telephone representative who informed me I would have to foot all of the related expenses from the cancellation because it was weather related.

If Air Canada had an employee at the airport, they could have rebooked our flights and made sleeping arrangements for all of the stranded passengers, or at least provided us with some guidance on the next steps. Thank you to the United Airlines staff who were the only ones available to answer our questions - even though their response was, “I don’t know. You’ll have to call Air Canada”.

Perhaps the money spent on Celine Dion would have been better invested in smaller things like, I don’t know, STAFF at the airports they service.

What works: Lufthansa, KLM, and Westjet. Good experiences every time.

2. Method Dish Cubes

Now why would I write about something as trivial as dishwasher detergent? Because it ticked me off, people! I bought the grapefruit dish cubes at Shoppers Drug Mart because A: They were cute, B: Their all-purpose glass cleaner is great, and C: They are supposed to be environmentally friendly.
Being the tree hugger that I am, I thought this would be a wise purchase. However, they didn’t work at all. Not only did they fail to clean my dishes, they also left a white film on them along with some mysterious grey sludge. Never seen that before. My dishwasher is only a year old so I can’t blame it on the appliance. I tried the cubes several times because I wanted them to work, I really, really did! But every time the same thing happened.

The label reads, “Pink Grapefruit scent refreshes your kitchen while you have fun elsewhere.” What does that mean? While you have fun at Loblaws buying a better detergent? This product needs some serious tweaking. Let me know when they actually work. In the mean time, I want my money back!

What works: President’s Choice The Clear Choice Detergent. This is the ONLY dish detergent I have tried that never lets me down.

3. Garnier Skin Naturals Lift (Night)

If you can’t tell by the title, this is supposed to be a night cream to visibly reduce the wrinkles that have been slowly appearing on my much-too-young-for-wrinkles skin. They claim I will awaken with smoother skin. All I have to say about this one is thanks for the whiteheads, Garnier! They blossomed into very lovely pimples.

I definitely look younger.

What works: Jamieson Vitamin E Ultra-Rich Moisture Cream. I slather this on my face at night and wake up with visibly softer, smoother skin.

Also: Garnier Skin Naturals Fresh Cleansing Gel. This stuff is great. I’m hooked and it’s a really inexpensive cleanser.

No comments: