Thursday, May 04, 2006

Giselle to the Rescue!



Not to toot my own horn, but I always thought I had pretty good taste in clothing. It’s not like I get stopped on the street and asked where I shop or anything, but I do get my share of once-overs and I’d like to think it’s not because I look like a fool…

My friend Giselle is a fashionable Argentinean import with taste, beauty and a knack for style. A merchandiser by day and an image consultant by night, Giselle is a style guru who is always willing to share her thoughts on how a person should dress.

Over an espresso the other day, Giselle shared some recent photos of a trip to Buenos Aires where she and her girlfriends are swathed in custom made designer dresses for a friend’s wedding. The dresses are stunning and they all look like models. Picture after picture, Giselle and her glamour girls are in flawless hair and makeup wearing one gorgeous outfit after the next.

I look down at my jeans and t-shirt with shame and say that I wished I could put myself together like that. Giselle closes her laptop and looks at me seriously. After a moment she says, (with her fab exotic accent), “You know what Aleeee? You are a pretty girl. Your hair, your body, your face… even your feet ees nice, but your cloths… I would change e-ber-ything.”

“Everything?”

“Yes, I would change it all. You need to learn better how to dress for yourself.” She smiles encouragingly. I stare blankly.

“It’s ok. I will help you!!!”

So that leaves us where we are today. Giselle and I have a shopping date set for May 19. I have a feeling I'll end up donating half my closet to the Sally Ann after Giselle goes through it, but it’s going to be worth it when I see the look on my hubby’s face. Er... before the visa bill arrives.

No comments: