Thursday, April 05, 2007

Edward Scissorhands

A play, based on a beloved Hollywood movie done entirely with dancing - no words and sans Johnny Depp sounds like an impossible thing to pull off. But it was amazing.

Last night was the opening night at the Hummingbird Center in Toronto and I managed to drag my reluctant husband along. Apparently he saw the Lion King a few years back and decided he hated live theatre of any kind ever since. Well, this might have changed his mind.

The costumes, music, set design and choreography were amazing and the acting really impressed me. How do you convey a story and genuine emotion with no words, no singing... nada? The performances were very passionate and believable. I am embarrassed to admit I nearly cried at the end. The crowd gave it a standing ovation.

This is a fantastic all ages show that anyone who loves the arts can appreciate.

Check out the preview on You Tube:


ChickAdvisor members get $15 off any seats in the house. There are only 3 shows left in Toronto.

Check out the official website.




3 comments:

Make-up Junkie said...

OMG - my husband and I were just talking about this play! Loved the movie but wasn't sure if I'd like the play especially sans Johnny Depp. Your review possibly has changed my mind. I guess I'll have to see it now!

Ali said...

Cool! Just don't compare it to the movie. It isn't apples to apples - esp since this is all done with dance and there are no words. I haven't seen the movie since I was little so that helped me avoid comparing the two.

Now I want to rent it again because I enjoyed the play!

Digital Narhwal said...

I heard that a cd by the rock band lovedrug matches up perfectly to the movie edward scissor hands on shuffle. I think the cd is called everything starts where it ends.