Thursday, March 29, 2007

The Canadiana Version

Oh Canada! I'm so tired of seeing how afraid we are when it comes to taking risks. Though we have a nice talent pool for Internet, film, television and pretty much every other industry, we're always afraid to try something new. Nope, the Americans have to do it first - and then it comes to Canada. Here's a few recent TV shows that immediately pop to mind:

America's Next Top Model -> Canada's Next Top Model

Deal or No Deal -> Deal or No Deal Canada

Entertainment Tonight -> Entertainment Tonight Canada (I still can't figure out how they managed to clone Mary Hart's voice box and implant it in Cheryl Hickey)

American Idol -> Canadian Idol

I know there are loads more and it's not just television, but I'm sick today and those are the ones that stuck out through the fog induced by my cold medication.

I applaud the Americans for taking chances and constantly innovating. I also applaud Canadian companies who do the same and don't fit this stereotype. I just don't think there are enough of you out there. Canada needs to step up and take more chances. We need more original programming, more innovation, and more funding to support that innovation.

Unless of course the goal is to be:
United States of America -> United States of America Canada.

1 comment:

Claire said...

you said it, honey