Saturday, May 12, 2007

A Trip, A Dress & My In-laws


I finally have some time to myself to get a few things done and inform you all that yes, I am still alive and doing well despite the fact that I haven't blogged here in ages. A thousand apologies.

Our trip to NYC was fabulous and I absolutely fell in love with that city. As soon as we got home, we discovered we were having family over the very next day for the weekend. So I had exactly one day to clean up, get some work done and prepare to entertain. We did our best despite an empty fridge and it was a lot of fun.

I always get a kick out of Alex's parents because they funny, charming yet often, brutally honest. Being South American, they love their wine - with ice and/or water in it. 50-50. Every now and then they would ask, didn't I want some ice in my red wine to cool it down? Or, maybe I should try my white wine diluted with half a glass of tap water? I thought this was very odd, until I saw a movie this weekend where some Italians did this and I realized it wasn't just them. Still, I think I'll pass.

South Americans are also very comfortable speaking their minds. We spent a little time on Queen Street popping into various boutiques when I found the most sexy gorgeous little black dress in RK, which was marked down to $40 from about $200. They only had one size. One teeny tiny size, but I decided to squeeze myself into it.

Alex immediately insisted we buy it. My Mother in law said it was too tight. Alex immediately insisted we buy it.

On the way out of the store, she leaned towards Alex and talk-whispered, "She will have to eat nothing but salad and water for a WEEK!" I guess I know who to ask next time I want an honest answer to the age old question, "Does this make my butt look big?"

I have some crazy things coming up this summer, but I'm really excited and looking forward to seeing what happens next! I will try to post more regularly.

2 comments:

Make-up Junkie said...

So glad to hear you had an amazing time in NY! I miss it...ok your in-laws are hilarious! They remind me of my mom and aunts - brutally honest! Yah, I think I'd pass on diluting the wine too haha. Ohh, I want to see the little black dress! $40 what a steal! I'm sure you look amazing in it which is why Alex insisted you get it! Who doesn't starve a little in the name of fashion???

Frasier said...

Husbands like the sexy stuff!!Dont they ?? Your mother-in-law sound s like my mom.Getting a complimenet out of her is like pulling teeth!!