Wednesday, May 23, 2007

A Cab Ride With "Mr. Geography"


Yesterday I was on my way home from Five on Spadina, my arms laden with clothes and hangers for an upcoming podcast I'm doing. I was considering walking the short distance but decided to take a cab so I wouldn't drop anything and ruin the clothes.

I hailed a cab and had just gotten settled in the back seat when the driver casually turned to me and said, "Princess - If you will answer my geography question correctly, your cab ride will be free."

"Umm... ok" I knew there was pretty much zero chance of me getting his questions right with my limited knowledge of geography.

"Princess.... Please tell me what is the capital city of Nigeria."

"I have no idea."

"It is Abuja. That's ok. I give you another one and the free offer still stands. Please name all 5 countries surrounding Switzerland."

I got all but 1. Stupid Liechtenstein.

"We'll try again. Please tell me the capital city of Iran."

I of course didn't have a clue. He offered for me to quiz him and, not knowing what else to say, I lamely suggested he name all of Canada's Provinces and Territories. He pretended this was an excellent and challenging question, but easily rattled them off one by one.

He then passed me several laminated newspaper articles of him from various publications. "I am very famous you see..."

Apparently, Mr. Geography has appeared on Conan O'Brian, Mike Bullard, Oprah, and pretty much every major Canadian network. He is known as "The King of Geography", has his own IMDB page (though it is empty) and says he is an international celebrity.

D'oh! Had I known that I would never have embarrassed myself by giving him such a stupid question. Still, this brush with celebrity was well worth it. Next time I'll be prepared.

Google results for Mr. Geography

1 comment:

Claire said...

Another great post! Although I would have gotten the capital of Iran one, and so saved you the cab expense. :D